064 Perm And Comb

Really, if I didn't tell you anything else, the title would sound like the services a hairdresser offers to its clients. No, actually, it's the short forms of the words "Permutations and Combinations", a chapter in Statistical Mathematics, because some people, especially Singaporeans, don't have the energy to say any more than one syllable per word, it can be further shortened to P and C, but this isn't really that important.



Not be a person overly picky on the right words to use, although grammar seem to be of paramount importance when I write, I just avoid making remarks about things like this. Hmmm... Maths and Block Tests, right... Now, for more mundane issues, I'm in the 2/3 point of my Block Test 2, and currently there aren't any papers that has made me lost sleep about, other one or two silly mistakes in Chem which includes mistaking left from right, a really unnecessary error, but we make mistakes all the time anyway. So, in this 4-day weekend I've found myself in, I've been studying (of course, but not as much as I want to), waking up at times in the morning that defies a normal distribution, fooling around, and watching badminton matches in the evenings. I can't play because of my sore foot, so I've found my calling in score-keeping. I've spent the evenings shouting something like "Four - Two - Second Service", and trying to judge whether the shuttlecock is in or out.



Other than that, I've been rejoicing on how I trashed the study of Economics in my KI essay, a subject I don't take, and happy not to, and reading Paulo Coelho's book, "Like The Flowing River", it's rather nice, and really makes you look back at the meaning of life, something I really need to look into now, the summation of the past, present and future. Here's a story from the book about Murphy's Law, which states that everything that can go wrong, will go wrong.



Once upon a time (all stories must start like this, don't they?), there was a man who was buttering his bread, and being a little butter-fingered (literally) that morning, he dropped the bread on the floor, and surprisingly it fell buttered side up. (Now, I've been told that bread always fall buttered side down, for some reason, and I'm assuming this guy knows this myth too.) He was shocked and so he went around his village, spreading the word that the bread fell buttered side up. There was much excitement, no one had seen bread fall buttered side up before and they thought it must be a sign from God or something, but no one could decipher what it meant. So, they went to the guru who lived in the mountains and asked him for an explanation. The guru said,"Give me a day, and I will give you an answer." So they went back down and returned the next day. And once again, they asked,"What is the answer?" And the guru said...(please sit down... because I think it's quite shocking...)



"Well, the bread fell exactly the way it should have, you simply buttered the wrong side of the bread"

Now, here's the baffling part, what does the last line mean? Does it mean that we are getting overly concerned with things that we think should go wrong, but actually turns out right? Or does it mean that, since we always think that things must go wrong, when something seem to turn out right, we also think that something has gone wrong? I leave this to you...

0 Comments: