109 Reductio ad Godwinum

Godwin's Law: As a discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

For the record, I haven't even started discussing anything, so that probability is just slightly above zero. But, "slightly above zero" is not "zero". So, feel free to sue, or jump out of some hidden bush and attack, frighten, surprise, shock or arrest me, if at any point in the coming discussion, I make a Nazi/Hitler comparison, starting from the next paragraph...

Of the many, many blog entries I've read, I have yet to encounter such a comparison. But let me tell you where I've seen or heard them, in descending order of frequency...

  1. KayEye classes: must be one of those days that have driven the philosophy so stale that we had to resort to them
  2. TV shows: like CSI and even House MD, that have gone on for a little too long...
  3. Wikipedia: but that's because my IS was on Conspiracy Theories, what was I supposed to do?!!
  4. Newspapers: wait... those are May 13 comparisons, aren't they? Do they count? Doubt so...

The Law is not to be confused with "Reductio ad Hitlerum", which sounds like some Harry Potter spell condemning you to a Nazi concentration camp... wait... does that count as a comparison? Are you hiding in that bush behind me, second guessing whether to jump? I'm begging you, please don't, I'm too young to die of a heart attack...

I'm waiting, are you there?

Does it count?...

...

...

It doesn't, why? You don't think J. K. Rowling is a Nazi?

Of course she isn't! Can we go on now? What's that you said? I just made another Nazi reference?

...

...

Excuse me for a moment, while I curse loudly... Children, please close your ears or get away from the monitor now...

#$%*&$! (otherwise known as BLEEP)

FINE! I'll stop blogging now! I know! I know! This discussion is getting stale!

.

.

.

.

PS: ...AND GET OUT FROM THAT BUSH!!!

0 Comments: