144 Readability

I woke up this morning thinking about flour bombs, but I decided not to say much about that here because I don't want to sound like I'm about to kill someone, but just to let you know, flour is not as harmless as you think, because of it may combust if there are large amounts of it suspended in the air. Go read it up in Wikipedia, if you want to know more...
And no, I'm not talking about those silly bags full of flour and egg white thrown at random people...
.
But that was an unrelated point, which you could have guessed from the lack of relationship between the title and the paragraph... Did you know that there is a test known as the Flesch–Kincaid Readability Test available in later versions of Microsoft Word. The formula is as follows,
.
206.835 - 1.015 (total words/total sentences) - 84.6 (total syllables/total words)
.
... and the higher the score, the more readable your document is. If this equation is used, then I'm lousy at writing highly readable documents, since I have a penchant of writing long sentences and long words, which, if your Maths isn't too rusty, decreases the score... (and yes, that was a very long sentence). So, I should really shorten my sentences and words, bt shud I do it 2 dis extnt?
.
OK, actually the main reason I wrote this post was because I sometimes get upset when ppl blog like dis. Most people write full words and sentences, and for that I'm very grateful, bt there r sum, lckly few, hu shrtn der wrds so mch tht I get upset. Sure, SMS typing is all abut reducing length of words, syllables and sentences, and maybe using the eqn abuv, increase readability Bt, tell me, iz dis srt of wrting d bst way 2 save time, n wrds, n ultmtly increase readabilty, bcoz i find it barely redabl.
.
Nw, if onli dis prob was ltd 2 SMS and e-mels, tht mayb I cn ovrlok, sins ppl say d hndphon has x space, n wst moni, 2 send more dan 1 SMS, bt tri doing it wth blgs... d idea of blgs iz mstli 2 infrm n 2 snd a msg 2 redrs, bt y do it wth shrtnd wrds... if u wnt 2 gt ur msg aX, y obscur it til lik dis, i noe u thk tht oders r so usd 2 redng shrt frms in SMS, bt pls don let it sprd 2 blg. U c, nw redrs hav shrt attn spns, n if u tortre dem w dis type of wrds, dey wil b anoyd n stp reding. Do u wnt dat 2 hapn? N btw, Im nt refrng 2 ani prticlr prsn/blg.
.
Of coz, thts nt my onli cncrn. In dis mdrn day n age, wrting wth pen n ppr iz bcumng rarer, evry1 iz usg comp n hndphn 2 snd msgs, memos n othr thngs. Whn wrting in ink, mst of us r stl able 2 wrt in ful sntences and gud gramr. Bt, 2day we dun snd ltrs/ntes animor. Mny frms of media r replced by comps, especiali d rols of blgs. Dey hav bcum our news, diaris, n ltrs. i drd d day dat ur newpprs uz wrds like dis. Wld u like it? N dis is oso 1 of d fw places tht we "wrt" outsd sch n wrk, n here, we wrt like dis. Dis mins tht, mor dan hlf d time, we use dis typ of wrds. Schchldrn r alr usng mr of dis dan norm Eng. N, if dey blg like dis, mtrs wil onl bcum wrse. Im sre dis typ of lang wil leak in2 der schwrk n esys, n tht iz d end of lang s we noe it. So, pls st a gd eg 2 dem n uz propr Eng in ur blgs, bcoz nw d mst pop mins of comunictns iz d Intrnt, n dis iz prob d main tng dey red evryday. If dey thnk dos typ of lang iz acptabl, dey may oso bgn 2 wrt like dis.
.
4 d sake of ur redrs n ur chlrn, pls uz ful sentences in ur blgs n in ani othr biz, OK. TTFN
.
PS: I'm sorry if I got some of the words wrong, I don't use them often enough for them to be second nature, but enough to be able to use them decently well.

0 Comments: