117 Reaching Terminal Velocity

I really do have to confess, I think the rate I am blogging for the past few days have hit the terminal velocity I have set for myself, which is about 2 posts per day. Anything more than that means that I seriously have to try finding else to do, because I've spent too much time in front of the computer monitor. But at the rate I'm at, I guess it's still consider healthy. And by the way, my lifestyle for the past week is anything but sedentary, so don't give me looks of disbelief. Yes, I've been climbing hills and/or staircases for about an hour a day.

Ah, but blogging has reached a terminal velocity in another sort of way. I've been reading the Wikipedia article on blogging and I would like to bring to your attention the section on popularity. A study by Gartner Inc., has "predicted that blogging will peak in 2007, leveling off when the number of writers who maintain a personal website reaches 100 million. Gartner analysts expect that the novelty value of the medium will wear off as most people who are interested in the phenomenon have checked it out, and new bloggers will offset the number of writers who abandon their creation out of boredom. The firm estimates that there are more than 200 million former bloggers who have ceased posting to their online diaries, creating an exponential rise in the amount of "dotsam" and "netsam" — that is to say, unwanted objects on the Web." (as taken from Wikipedia as at April 9, 2008)


I spent the evening trying to represent these interesting data on a graph, and this was the resulting figure.




I shall leave you to digest the graph and the data, and remember people:
recycle, reuse and reduce, we don't want too much "dotsam" and "netsam" lying around the Internet, so make sure you delete blogs that aren't of any use anymore.
This is a public service message from me, thank you for listening.

0 Comments: