127 Real Deal

There are many things I want to type out here, but the topics are so far ranging that it is difficult to accomodate them together in a single post without making it very messy, but I'll try...
Part One: Re (Rhenium, atomic number 75, named after the Rhine River)

The Periodic Table of Elements in pictures


This came in the post yesterday, after about 11 days of waiting. However, the cylinder cardboard tubing that was meant to protect the poster was smashed up at one end, so the bottom part of the poster was a little spoilt. Malaysian postals services, I tell you, cannot be trusted to send a perfectly good poster without the customer receiving it with some defect or another. That's the bad news... the good news is the cylinder contained not one, but two posters. I first suspected that it was a double transaction, but the records and the money spent showed that they was only for one... so, either there was a packing error or the posters come in pairs. Since almost nobody sells posters in pairs, I suspect a counting error. Must be packed by one of the contestants of "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?"... And what am I going to do with a second Periodic Table? Any ideas, folks, and no, I'm not giving it away for free, but I could sell it for a nominal sum, if anyone's interested...

Part Two: Review (Kite Runner and The Bucket List)


The Kite Runner: "For you, a thousand times over"


I've read the book, and watched the movie twice, and I still can't get bored of it. The Kite Runner, started off as a book by Afghan born author Khaled Hosseini, and I read the book in one evening and night, partially because it's a good book, and also because I'm a fast reader. A story of how a friendship between two childhood friends of different social classes, were broken but rekindled in the most unimaginable way possible. It's not action-packed, and not overly fantasy, just the right mix of real world elements and fiction, to make a touching and poignant story... but the best thing of all is that the movie follows the storyline in the book, without adding in any artificial taste and colouring. Plain and simple literary beauty brought into the big screen, it's adaptation at its best... unlike The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Harry Potter, which lost its literary beauty to Hollywood CGI and attempts to appeal to the wider audience.


The Bucket List: "I want to see something majestic"

The Bucket List, which is a list of things to do before you kick the bucket, i.e. die, becomes the center focus of the show. It follows the themes of the Mitch Albom book, Tuesdays With Morrie, since it deals with how we face death, and dying... A millionaire and a working class man meet in a hospital room, both dying from cancer, and together they draw up a bucket list... the story of how the completed every task in the list is a touching story, since we realise that the means to achieve our greatest dreams, sometimes lie right under our noses... I realise that my greatest fear was never Death itself, and I have always maintained that I never did mind having to live a life that would end... but my fear is living a life that ended without changing the world in a way that only I could do... Oh, and I cried at the end of the show, a rare phenomenon, I must tell you... so take this is a sign that this is a show worth watching.


Two different things have been said already, and I don't want to add anymore things to the jumble. So, I leave as it is for now. Ta Ta!

0 Comments: