132 Rethinking

Despite what this looks like, and whatever this looks like to you, I give you one assurance, this post is written by myself, the author of this blog, so please don't dismiss this as one of those things you get through your e-mail... oh, and for the record... you'll never catch me placing any of those here...
Hey, everyone... I really hope that you would read this all the way to the end... and share this with your friends and family, and every one you care about, because writing this down made me find hope in life again, and I sincerely wish reading it will do the same to you too...
.
To Dream or not to Dream
.
...as I quietly trudged downstairs, in the wee hours of the morning, with the hopes that I do not wake the denizens of the mostly dark house, there was only one thing on my mind. Dreams...
.
Before I start pouring out the contents of my mind, please forgive me for leaving the usual tone and style of this blog, I know many find the light-heartedness here a departure from the outpouring of emotions, commonplace in this part of the cyber world. But I too, am human, and there will always be waves plaguing even the most placid lake...
.
" The height of self-deceit is when a man mistakes what he wishes for, to be true"-Demosthenes-
.
This line has been disturbing me for a better part of tonight, as I, along with most of my counterparts, stand at a major crossroads of life, wondering where our dreams will take us. But, as these words of wisdom suggest, it is possibly dreams that lead to misery. There is no problem in dreaming, it is, by far, a harmless past time almost every human being take up, as perhaps, a source of happiness and bliss. However, sometimes I fear that we, without realising it, let this innocuous hobby become an obsession. When we blur the line between our dreams and reality, it becomes a tinder box for disaster... it becomes self-deceit, self-denial and fear, all at once. How I would love to say that dreams are merely psychological phenomena, and never translate into real belief, like the sweet dreams of carefree days and blissful moments we have snug under blankets.
.
They always tell us to "Dare to Dream"... and I will frankly admit, that dreams are great motivators. Every great invention has certainly started out as a dream, but once again, reality is harsh... the successes we see are merely the sum of the dreams that have come true, and we ignore the thousands of dreams that never did. The vast graveyard of dreams unfulfilled always makes me shudder, because I've been there and I always wonder whether I want to go there again. The ignorance, in this case, certainly is bliss, but the fear of ending up there makes us think twice before even daring to take the first step... Some may be thinking that if this "kiasu" fellow sticks to what he just said, is never going to amount to anything in life, but let me assure you, even I dream high, and that troubles me deeply...
.
You see, it is basic human instinct to shy away or avoid any activity that brings harm to the self, be it physically or emotionally. But dreaming is still among the many activities the mind engages in, and so it would seem that over the ages, that dreaming has been proven to bring more good than harm, and I truly take solace in this fact. Perhaps, it is true that every time a dream fails to launch, we try again. We, humans, are relentless creatures that will try every single alternative before calling it a day, and even then, that idea or dream still lurks in the subconscious, waiting for the day the eureka moment arrives. Optimism, is truly one commodity that is never in short supply throughout the human race. People still fight for their dreams, despite the odds that are stacked against them, hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an illusion.
.
"Emotion - Logic = Faith" -Eureka (TV Show)-
.
That's true, isn't it? I daresay that the only thing that keeps most of us running back to our dreams despite whatever storm is blowing us away is faith. Many have lambasted faith as an unfounded, unjustified belief. With my experience in etymology, I, for one, understand the weak foundation that "knowledge" based on faith is built on. It simply is illogical to a detached individual for a person to trust anything which is based on faith, and many a sceptic have put such people under fire. But through all the fire and dust we have kicked up, we all need a little faith, and as much as I hate to admit, I too trust faith in justifying my dreams.
.
After all these words I have typed out, I realised at the beginning where I expressed my cynicism towards dreaming, that it would be hypocritical of me to say that we shouldn't dream. As much as I dread having my dreams crash and burn to the ground in front of me, and as much as I hate ending up deceiving myself, I still believe in dreaming. However, I still know that I must prepare myself for the worse, for the fall that comes with the pride. I'd think that this isn't pessimism, it's just cautious optimism.
.
So, to everyone out there, my friends, don't ever, ever stop dreaming. Sometimes the only thing that keeps us going, even on the darkest nights, is our dreams. As someone said once "it is still possible to drive all the way from New York to San Francisco only looking at the road in front of you". Life will always hand you lemons, but as I always remark in reply, I like lemonade...

0 Comments: